Wednesday, October 28, 2009

half way over?

As a general rule, I am not a birthday broadcaster. I know plenty of folk that announce their birthdays months in advance, celebrate birthday months etc. Nothing wrong with that, but it is simply not me. I am usually happy letting my birthday come and go without much hoopla. Ideal birthday for me: some quality time with my wife and son. Leave the cake, parties, etc for someone else.

So, I am way out of my comfort zone as I write this blog, but wanted to comment on something that happened on my birthday this year.

Maybe you are like me in that a birthday represents an open season for you friends to rib you about your age etc. (maybe I need new friends...) This year, I received an email on the blackberry at 7:15 a.m. on the birthday. My "friend" wrote: "Happy Birthday. Almost 40 - your life is half way over - enjoy your day." Hmmm. Half way over?

Well, If life is halfway over, then what had I accomplished in the first half? Is it truly even worth pondering, or is my time better used thinking about what I can accomplish in the second half? (there is a Tim McGraw song in here somewhere...)

So, the next half to do list:
  • Raise my son (soon to be sons) to be the best men that they can be.
  • Work hard to make sure that my marriage is solid and not boring. Make sure that my wife and I continue to grow as a couple.
  • Pursue professional growth opportunities to not only spur my own growth, but, more importantly, allow for my family to be well provided for.
  • Get active again. While I still can.
  • Reconnect with friends that I have become too distant from.
I'm sure that this list will grow and evolve (after all, it is 4 a.m. - how clear can my thinking be?)

Half way over? Maybe. Disappointed to be on the back-9? Nope.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday D! Great post. And I'm uber proud of the Tim McGraw reference....I was singing the song in my head before I even got to that part! Glad to know the rednecks of Rockwall have worn off on you just enough for you to memorize country western songs :) Here's to another 40 years, I owe you a birthday tequila shot!

    ReplyDelete