Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lifestations...

I attended my 20 year HS reunion a couple of weeks ago...or should I say I attended part of it. Seeing everyone 20 years later led to some interesting thought about lifestations. I remember attending my 10 year reunion, and feeling a bit the way I did in high school. At that reunion, several of the guys get together beforehand, drank far too much, and spent most of the night in the corner critiquing old classmates. I suppose that a 10 year reunion may still be a bit too close to one's high school years. It may be too early to tell how someone is going to turn out. I think about what was going on in my life at the tender age of 28, and I was far from finished "cooking". But, alas, 38! At this point, (theoretically), one has been on a career path for a fair amount of time, most likely has started a family (or intentionally chosen not to), and hopefully has moved out of their parents' basement. It was really good to see how people had turned out. All of the high school (and post high school) bs seemed to be gone. Many people went down paths that were somewhat unexpected, but, all in all, people seemed happy. I recognize that I am biased, but I believe that our class had aged very well. People looked happy and healthy. People had very "settled" looks on their faces. It's was as if their messaging was "this is the path I've chosen, I put my past behind me, and the true me is now here to stay". Very different from the "who is hot, and who is not" mentality of the 10 year reunion.

So, the obvious question is: "how will people change over the next 10 years?" I look at my path, and things on the horizon, and try to forecast what 10 years from now might look like. Our son, Griffin, will be entering middle school. His younger brother (due in March), will be 9. From a career perspective, there is a good chance that we will be somewhere other than the Metroplex (nothing currently in the works, but a long-term possibility).

And the obvious: I will be a little fatter, a little balder, a little grayer etc. But, I would guess, a little happier too. Not that I am unhappy now. Actually, quite the contrary. But, it will be a true joy to watch my boys grow up.

Its interesting to see paradigms change as we mature. Here I am, at 4:18 in the morning, commenting on the evolution of my family over the next ten years. 10 years ago, I would have only commented on who was hot 10 years after high school...


No comments:

Post a Comment